Bacterial Vaginosis During Menopause

Oyster Plant © lynette sheppard

This week’s guest post also focuses on vaginal health. Written by Patrick Ross, this offering addresses an uncomfortable difficulty that can arise during Menopause.

Bacterial Vaginosis During Menopause
The menopause is a difficult time for a woman. Contracting an embarrassing intimate condition during an already difficult period could make it very difficult.

What is Bacterial vaginosis?
Bacterial vaginosis is a condition that occurs when the walls of the vagina become inflamed due to the overgrowth of bacteria. Women can develop this condition at any age, but menopause is one of the many risk factors that makes a woman more susceptible to developing this condition. The hormonal changes that women go through during this period can lead to a pH imbalance. If the pH balance in the vagina is disturbed, bacteria will begin to grow rapidly.

What are some of the symptoms of bacterial vaginosis?

Light vaginal bleeding, foul-smelling discharge, painful intercourse and vaginal irritation are some of the symptoms that may accompany this condition. The symptoms of bacterial vaginosis can easily be confused with a yeast infection or sexually-transmitted disease, which is why this condition is sometimes difficult to diagnose.

What happens if bacterial vaginosis is left untreated?

Bacterial vaginosis can result in serious complications if it is left untreated. Women who have this condition are more likely to develop sexually-transmitted diseases, such as Chlamydia, Gonorrhea or HIV. Some menopausal women may need to have a hysterectomy and bacterial vaginosis can increase a woman’s risk of developing complications from the procedure.

Additionally, bacterial vaginosis can also ruin a woman’s confidence. Menopause is supposed to be a time where a woman’s life changes for the better because she no longer has to worry about menstrual cycles or pregnancy. The symptoms of bacterial vaginosis may make some women feel reluctant to even leave their home.

How can bacterial vaginosis be treated?

Fortunately, menopausal women do not have to suffer with bacterial vaginosis. Balance Activ is a clinically-tested and proven gel that has been shown to alleviate this condition. This product helps treat this condition by restoring the vagina’s normal pH level. Balance Activ also helps alleviate discomfort, discharge and the foul smell.

Balance Activ is very simple to use. All a woman has to do is insert the gel into her vagina using an applicator. Balance Activ is available over-the-counter or on commercial websites, such as Amazon.com.

When to consult a physician

Most women will be able to treat their bacterial vaginosis with the help of Balance Activ. However, there are some cases that need medical assistance. If a woman experiences discomfort, bleeding or worsening symptoms, she should not hesitate to consult with her physician.

Patrick is guest blogging for balance activ a BV treatment available in America on Amazon.com or through their website.

, , , , , , , , , , , ,

10 Responses to Bacterial Vaginosis During Menopause

1. Menopause July 20, 2012 at 9:18 am #

Great post from Patrick Ross. I am behind researching about Balance Active. Thanks

2. Balance Activ July 26, 2012 at 9:17 am #

Thanks! If you are suffering with BV then researching Balance Activ to treat BV is a good idea.

3. Diva November 19, 2012 at 5:58 am #

I used to battle bv lots.. My doctor recommended I don’t use tampons. So I got the diva cup, it is very safe and clean! Since I have been using the diva cup I haven’t got bv back! I also have used boric acid but still got bv, until I started using the diva for periods, I don’t use boric acid. Everything is fine now. No tampons just the diva!!

4. sharon January 24, 2013 at 1:45 am #

I have suffered from BV (bacterial vaginosis) on and off for 4 years now but in the past year it has been constant. I have tried everything from doctors, naturopaths, chinese herbalists, gynecologists, healthy diet, you name it, I’ve tried it.

I have had numerous amounts of antibiotics in the past to try and get rid of it but it has just kept coming back.

Having BV for such a long time has made me insecure, stressed and upset.

I started to think that it would never go away which was a real concern as it can affect you when you are trying to have a baby also.

So my friend suggested I try Isla. I thought to myself how can this work if nothing else has? I used the Isla product which I bought online at http://www.islasoapstick.com for 3 days in a row and I could not believe it!

My discharge and odour has completely disappeared. I thought I would wait a month and see if it returned but it has completely gone!

I have been amazed by this product and I cannot thank Isla enough for helping me.

I cannot rave about this product anymore than I have. I have told everyone I know and everyone wants one due to the sexual benefits also.

I am sharing my story in the hope that it may assist other ladies who are suffering from this same problem and have tried everything like I had and thought it was something I was going to have to live with

5. LynetteSh February 3, 2013 at 6:42 pm #

Thanks so much for sharing, Sharon! Hopefully this can help many women who suffer from BV.

6. Asta April 10, 2013 at 3:40 am #

I have been researching about bacterial vaginosis when I found this blog! Thanks for this! It’s quite difficult to find out about it when people don’t write about it a lot. Thanks!!

7. LynetteSh April 10, 2013 at 6:51 pm #

So glad we could be of help!

8. Asta Overgaard July 2, 2013 at 12:38 am #

Very informative post regarding how to get rid of bv during menopause. Thanks for sharing!

9. Donna Murphy July 12, 2013 at 5:06 pm #

I am 53 and perimenopausal. I was on low dose bcp’s, but my gyn suggested I go off them when I was 52 to ck my hormone levels. Since I was feeling ok I didn’t go back on hormones. Four months later I had my 1st. BV infection, 6 months later I had had 5 BV’s, 3 yeast infections and 2 UTI’s. I. Started on HRT & have had bouts of estrogen dominance, bleeding & spotting. I’m now on activella, 0.5/0.1 and also take fem-dophilus probiotic. I worry constantly I will have another BV & am open to any & all suggestions that may help me.

10. LynetteSh July 15, 2013 at 9:26 am #

One of our Menopause Goddesses has suffered from this and says that hygiene is critical for her. Also, you didn’t Mention if your HRT is oral or some other delivery method, but vaginal cream works really well in a focused way to treat BV. Sort of right to the source – you might want to ask your MD about this. (Or vagifem tablet) just some estrogen that is put in the vagina – localized. Good luck! Anyone else have suggestions for Donna?