Oh Libido, Where Art Thou?

Redwall Cavern and Dories Β© lynette sheppard

Hi there Goddesses. I just got back from a long, glorious trip down the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. And yes, there were a number of menopausal goddesses on the trip. You can imagine that the conversation turned to the Big M, now and again. We all fared wonderfully on our trip with Grand Canyon Dories. A big shout out to my webmaster, Bill, who posted the blogs in my absence, and graced us with his photos.

Upon returning home, I jumped right into our annual Menopause Goddess gathering – and we all agree that it was the best one yet. I’ll be debriefing in further blog posts – just have to digest it all. One of our perennial topics is libido or the lack thereof. Many of us who see the worst of menopause in our rear view mirror find that our libido returned. Somewhat. I have to say that unbridled lust seems to be a thing of the past. If Brad Pitt showed up naked at the front door, well, I’d definitely take pix, but otherwise? Too much trouble. Just sayin’…

Naturally, we want to be intimate with our spouses or significant others. That’s part of a life we’ve built together. Still, we may long (together) for the days when libido ruled.

That’s why I just LOVE Celia Ramsay’s music video “Lament”. Check it out:

, , , , , , , , , ,

13 Responses to Oh Libido, Where Art Thou?

1. Anne Wheeler October 7, 2012 at 10:20 pm #

Too funny, too true!

2. CAV October 11, 2012 at 5:37 pm #

I am glad you enjoyed your trip in the big ditch. It is the a place where I feel whole…and am reminded how young I really am! Those rocks are OLD! πŸ™‚

3. Lynette October 17, 2012 at 10:59 am #

Oh yes! I love it so much. Reminds me how infinitesimal all my little worries really are. In geologic time? I’m just a blip. Which is very comforting to me.

4. Trixie November 10, 2012 at 3:14 pm #

I loved this great play on life as we know it! Thanks so much for sharing and guiding us on the path to well old age.

5. LynetteSh November 16, 2012 at 12:47 pm #

Thank you, Trixie!

6. jenn November 26, 2012 at 9:19 am #

this is great, love the song. I have had dry periods, but at age 58, in spite of vaginal atrophy, I am still enjoying some libido renaissance. It is quieter, but still alive.

7. jenn November 26, 2012 at 9:20 am #

ps I have a chapter on this, Where oh Where did my Libido go? in The Tao of Turning Fifty, my book on the perils and roller coaster ride of menopause/mid-life transition

8. Naseem Rakha January 23, 2013 at 7:47 pm #

Wonderful to find like-minded women growing though life, and enjoying my favorite place on earth – the Grand Canyon. I rafted the river for 13 days last summer – my second trip. And I am heading there next week to spend a month as their Artist in Residence. I plan to write, hike, blog, and paint. Thanks for creating a wonderful site. Naseem

9. LynetteSh February 3, 2013 at 6:43 pm #

Thanks so much, Naseem. See you on the River!

10. Naseem Rakha February 3, 2013 at 8:38 pm #

Here’s the link, if you are interested. http://grandcanyonwriter.com

11. LynetteSh February 6, 2013 at 4:04 pm #

Thanks – I’m hooked. I’ll be along for the ride via your blog.

12. Melinda Pugsley July 2, 2013 at 10:25 pm #

Did you find your libido? And, if so, where?!? πŸ˜‰

13. LynetteSh July 10, 2013 at 9:05 pm #

All the goddesses reclaimed their libido but I will warn you that it never heated up to pre Menopause levels. And we usually had to get started on intimacy before it really kicked into gear. If we waited for it to manifest by itself, well it just never was that strong. So, as one of the goddess’s therapist said “Just show up naked with a smile on your face and see what happens.” Great advice.